My (Re) Dedication Prayer

As I celebrated my thirty-twelfth birthday yesterday Nina and I also celebrated 16 years since our commissioning as Salvation Army officers. it has been a journey - in the words of the late Mike Yaconelli - "If I was to drop dead now my last words to you would be: What a ride!" He went on to say - "You cling to Jesus, you give your life to him. It will be wild, it will be unpredictable, it will be dangerous. But, man, will you know how to dance" 

Well, that sums up 16 years of Salvation Army officership. We're here because that's what Jesus wants. And as we stand on the threshold of a new adventure it wonderfully concentrates the mind and the heart on a fresh realization of a desperate need for God, utter helplessness and a need for total dependence on Him. If experience has taught me anything in 16 years, it's that God does the work; apart from Him I can do nothing.

As I listened to my sessional dedication song today -  prayed and sang it with a renewed consecration - I was deeply moved by its relevance and meaning (I think even more so than in 1995). And I sensed Holy Fire. It is still my prayer; "Truly God has listened; he has given heed to the words of my prayer. Blessed be God, because he has not rejected my prayer or removed is steadfast love from me" (Psalm 66:19-20 NRSV).

"Remember me.
I'm the one you called to be your Messenger - it seems to me like yesterday.
And all this time, oh, so gently, you have been preparing me for what you're needing me to say.
And now I stand, looking at a world that's lost its way again,facing the despair and pain of hopeless men;
and I know I must go out where You will be.
Remember me, I'm your Messenger.

Messenger, I'll be your Messenger -
where hope has die and left a blank despair I'll take the word of grace you've given me to share.
And in days when I can't see the way I'll know you be a heart beat's prayer away
to energise the words I'll try to say - your Messenger.

Oh come to me,
only as I understand the need out there will hope become confirmed in me
And for thoser times when words will fail and I must be the Message Lord, I need its meaning burned in me.
I promise you, nothing will divide my love and loyalty. Nothing will supplant the word you give to me.
For I see, I must be a living sign of hope.
O come to me, I'm Your Messenger."
(Words: Joy Webb)

"There is hope for your future" declares the Lord! And I intend to take that declaration and make it known right till the day I stand before Jesus in whom my hope is found! Hallelujah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Miserable Little Compromise?

A Delightful Inheritance