Letter to a Grandson

I was called to follow Jesus as a Salvation Army Officer in 1990. In May 1991 - four days after my 22nd birthday - and exactly twenty years ago - my Nana Smith typed out a letter to me (she later told me that it had taken ages as she could only type with one finger). It contained wisdom and advice for a young man preparing for ministry. It is one of the most precious possessions I have.

I entered the William Booth Training College in 1993, the year after my Nana went to be with Jesus. My sister later also entered the Training College and on her Commissioning Day I sent a copy of this letter to her - from a Nana to a precious granddaughter - words that she would want to say to her as she stood on the cusp of new challenges and ministry.

I have returned to this letter from time to time. I came back to it this afternoon; initially because of clearing boxes in preparation for moving. But I then spent time to re-visit it and receive again such godly wisdom.

I reproduce the letter in full below. In it she warns against any ambition other than Christ, encourages me to be myself and not a chameleon that takes on the characteristics of others. Most importantly is her exhortation - which has remained with me over these twenty years - to preach Christ every time and all the time. And this I vow, again, to do till the day I die.

                                 









30-5-91


Dear Simon


When first I heard of your call to Officership you will never know the great joy that came to me. You impress your Nana as a good sincere Christian and will start out with no ulterior motives, fixed with one ambition only and that to Serve your Saviour and Master.


I have already heard that you have acquired most excellently the conducting of a meeting and possess confidence and I see (so longer as you rely upon the Spirit of God to help you) a fruitful career before you. You already continuously study the Bible dissect and assimilate its every thought, masticate and digest its every truth and when you stand up to speak to your audience, be yourself. Be Simon Wright and nobody else. Never try the mannerisms or style of some speakers who have impressed you. Be natural, spontaneous in your simplicity.


Don't strain after effect, if you do you will be of no effect. Never give up your own individuality your own natural style is the most effective style for you. Give out the Bloom, the freshness of your own original constructive thought. Be concise. Be compact. Preach to men's hearts, and preach Christ every time and all the time and God will bless you.


These few thoughts that have occurred to me I pray may help you in the future. You have my love and prayers always. God bless you Love


From your Nana, Who Loves you as I Know you Love me.
Your Own Nana
XXXX



Comments

  1. What a treasure to keep and read over and over and over again. It also makes us aware how, in this computer age, important handwritten letters are. Thanks for sharing the letter with us. Judyx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Miserable Little Compromise?

A Delightful Inheritance